Tuesday, January 13, 2009

The Chicken Pox Musings: Imprisoned in My Own "Chicken Coop"

This is the first part of a series of musings I had during the long and boring days of being sidelined by a mild case of chicken pox. This set of entries is a product of the author's boredom and search for some useful things to do during his chicken pox ordeal.

I did not really expect that I'll be hit by something like chicken pox....

At first I really did not believe it. But when my girlfriend sensed that it was - and was verified through her research and my own inquiries from friends - I was shocked to learn that I would be sidelined for the next couple of days by this thing called chicken pox....

I am still surprised as to how and why I got it. All I remember was I got a fever last Sunday night (January 4), and I got uncomfortably hot and chilly because of a high fever during the early morning of the next day (January 5). By the time I woke up, I already have some of those itchy rashes in some parts of my body - my face included - with pus-like or reddish spots in the middle. I just brushed that aside, thinking that those may be either mosquito bites na sobra ang kamot or allergic reactions because of dust (I cleaned my unit a bit in that Sunday afternoon before I got a fever). But at the same time I still was chilly and a bit weak back then, and I had mild fever till the end of the day.

Well, I couldn't do anything about it. Nandiyan na 'yan, 'ika nga. All I can do now is to stay inside my "coop" - my unit, that is. It's a good thing that my girlfriend already had it when she was young, so she can enter my unit to give food and other supplies. But aside from eating, drinking, sleeping, resting, using my PC, listening to the radio, and daydreaming, there are no other productive things to do inside the unit. I even feel weaker doing nothing, but it's possible that going out and doing something may either aggravate my condition or pass on the disease to the unsuspecting. It might be better to be idle resting for a few days.

But having such contagious diesease also affected many things. One is that it disrupted the implementation of some of my plans for the first two weeks of January. I should've checked my e-mail for possible replies in two of my applications or for other important messages. It also forced me to earn some money from Math Coach - dapat babawi ako para may pera ako ngayong buwan. It even affected my schedule of service as lector/commentator in the Parish of the Holy Sacrifice - and I can't even attend our monthly meeting on January 11.

As of this writing (January 10), I no longer have fever, and some of the rashes are beginning to dry up. I still don't konw if I can go out in the coming week. I'm really itching to go out and get things going. I think I need to just let this weekend pass resting in my "coop" and try to get going by Monday. In the meantime, I'll just take care of my rashes, keep myself and my unit clean, drink vitamins, and stretch a bit. Also, to kill the boredom, I'll continue playing flash games, listening to AM radio, and daydream even more :p

No comments: