Saturday, June 26, 2004

Room 106


I never expected that a faculty room can be a nice and happy place to stay...


After a year of teaching at the department, I've realized that staying in my faculty room for the past academic year really made my year both as a teacher and a human being.


In our faculty room, a regular school day never passes without my stomache almost aching after having a large dose of laughs, jokes, and antics courtesy of my room mates. They literally clown around, making those punch lines and gestures that make everyone roll into laughter.


You can even learn tons of info about music, trivia, and even jologs stuff, all in a day. Throw in some reminiscenses of the good 'ol days of our lives: the 80's, elementary and high school days, even undergrad escapades. Maalaala mo kaya ang drama, 'di ba?


Another thing worth mentioning is the occasional kainan spree, usually pizza or pancit sa bilao, and the photo-ops that accompany those gatherings. Poses galore!


Speaking of photo-ops, did I say that we have picture-taking sessions even on regular days? Ilalabas nila ang mga digital cameras nila 'pag trip lang nilang mag-kodakan.....


Do the inhabitants of room, if you ask, ever get serious? Well, yes....We have some time discussing school stuff, especially concerning the subjects we teach and the lessons we study in our masters. We compare and share notes, verify facts, critic each others' exams, even pose questions and problems about some things that stump us, like the question on whether or not -8 raised to the 2/3 power is the same as -8 raised to the 4/6 power. We even share some personal stuff and some advice and encouragement once in a while.... Bottom line? We are still serious in our jobs and our lives, you know....


For the past academic year, I realized that I'm lucky to have room mates and colleagues like I have now in our faculty room. Those people have added color to my somewhat fruitful first year of teaching in the department. I've gained a lot from them: happiness, support, guidance, even friendship. I'm thankful to have those people around me....


I remember my former colleague saying this to me before: "pinakamasaya ang faculty room namin" in the whole department....


I couldn't agree more.... ^_^.



P.S.: One thing I'll remember about my room mates was when they supported me and gave me advice during those depression episodes and other concerns, especially the "lecturer letdown" thing. Thanks to you guys! ^_^


No comments: