Saturday, October 09, 2004

Earthquake!

It was really an earth-shaking experience....

At about 10:36 pm last night (or so the PHIVOLCS Bulletin said on its website), parts of Luzon got its share of tremors from the subducting Manila Trench (wow, panalo ang term). The epicenter of the said earthquake was about 7 km, 61 degrees west of south of Tagaytay City. The magnitude of the earthquake was about 6.4, but the highest intensity recorded by PHIVOLCS was intensity 5. Here at QC, according to the bulletin, it was intensity 3.

At that time I'm inside my favorite computer shop surfing the net. I was treating myself since I finished checking those Math 17 fifth exam bluebooks. Suddenly, at around 10:30, I began to feel dizzy. No, it was not of too much playing of Zero Hour....I just felt the shaking. At first, I just thought that those kids playing Ragnarok were the ones shaking the computer table because of excitement. A few seconds later, it just sinked in to my mind, after looking at the only guy near me at one side of the shop, that we were experiencing an earthquake. It was really an earthquake! Whoa.

After the quake I hurriedly turned on my headphone radio to listen to reports. Yup, it was affirmative: we had experienced an earthquake.

The tremblor was still the talk of the town, even in the department, until this morning. But what really struck my mind as I hear them talking about it was this: we should always expect the unexpected. Yup, we may never know when another quake will strike the place, and how strong it will be. It's also the same in our life: we may never know what will come our way. We might be caught off guard, just like many of us who were caught by surprise by that quake that night.

Bottom line: we should be prepared...always. ^_^

P.S. The quake brought back the memories of July 16, 1994. I was in Grade 6 then when all of us in the classroom felt the tremblor at about 3 pm. It was really unforgettable especially for those who were hardest hit by that quake. Scary, huh....





2 comments:

Anonymous said...

ei, sir. i just want to make sure na mare-receive mo yung URL. hehe.
http://math17write-up.tk

thank you po ulit. ^^;

+najo+

Gibey said...

Oo nga, butanding...my mistake. it was supposed to be 1990, not 1994. Thanks for correcting :D