Monday, November 01, 2004

All Saints' Day Musings

It was really a solemn and quiet day today...

For some reason I didn't go home to join my household in the observance of All Saints' Day. Well this was the third straight year that I did that. I really don't feel like going home, I guess....

I missed the time, though, when I was home during the sem break, when I was tasked to go to the public cemetery on November 1 or 2 to light and guard (yup, guard...) the candles for my departed lolos and lolas. Even though I really wanted to die then with the inhabitants of the place because of soooo much boredom, I just busied myself making miniature figurines from the melted candles, like "snowmen" (or...candle wax men?) or elves. I even had two of them in my room, with one of them almost melted and deformed due to exposure to sunlight.

So much for the reminiscing....

And for some reason I couldn't sleep from 2 to 6 am... I caught up with sleepiness by 6:15, but needed to wake up by past 10 am to catch my 12 nn mass service. I just went to a computer shop and played my favorite Command and Conquer: Generals Zero Hour to "command and conquer " my boredom and sleepiness, then went home to snooze a bit.

After the mass, while waiting for a jeepney bound for Philcoa, I really felt the emptiness and quietness of the place. A few people were walking around, the Coop and almost all SC stalls (except Rodic's) were closed, and vehicles passing by were so few you can actually dance, do some cartwheel, and even lie down on the street for quite a while. It was really, really serene...the exact opposite of the chaos and commotion in the cemeteries today.

Oh well, it was really one of those days of the year when you enjoy peace and quiet...^_^.







No comments: